Who Runs the World?

Attention ladies!

IT'S GIRLS' WEEKEND!

Okay, I know it's still mid-week.  And I know I have to hit pause for 45 minutes tomorrow while I take a conference call for work.  But that changes nothing.  Until Sunday morning, my life is all about fun with the girls.

We do two girls weekends every year.  One in the fall, centered around "Doe Camp" time - even though none of us are hunting widows.  The other is in the spring, right around spring break time - even though only one of us ACTUALLY has a spring break.

To be clear, the girls includes my mom, my sister and my cousin's wife in the fall.  In the spring, my cousin's wife is replaced by my daughter - she's the one on spring break right now. 

We look forward to girls' weekend all year long.  My family has had a membership at a little camping resort since I was about 17 or so.  It has a typical campground for people with travel trailers and motor homes and an area that is totally tent city.  We leave our trailer here and will often camp during the summer.  In 2017, the campground was right in the path of totality during the solar eclipse.  It was awesome.

But it also has condos.  They all have patios or balconies that over look the lake - which is a mandatory requirement for my morning coffee.  Girls' weekends always take place in condos.

In the morning, we sleep as late as we can and put Bailey's in our coffee and eat bacon and chocolate.  We watch the food network or Law and Order while we get ready for our day.  We sleep in every available space - beds, couch, air mattress on the floor and even a cot in the kitchenette.
 
During the day, we take trips to nearby wine country.  We do wine tastings - which haven't changed since the last time we visited these same wineries.  We sip wine and eat snacks - everything from veggies to chocolates to sausage and cheese. 

After dinner, we drink more wine and play games or watch movies.  Cards Against Humanity or Marble Madness.  We side track into stories and we laugh.  We also eat more snacks.  Calorie intake is quite high during girls' weekends.  But what you eat at girls' weekend stays at girls' weekend - there is no judgement.

During the fall girls' weekends, the resort will have official girls' weekend activities like paint and sip or pj parties and movie nights.  One of the local wineries throws a doe camp breast cancer fundraiser with music, games, vendors and raffles.

In the spring, we are left a bit to our own devices.  In between wineries and games, we always have a puzzle on the coffee table for anyone to work on when the mood strikes.  It is our own crazy brand of fun.

This particular girls' weekend - Spring Girls' Weekend 2019 - is going to be iconic.  Not only is my daughter's sorority "big" joining us for the second half of our trip, but this is the first time my daughter will participate in girls' weekend from a "legal" perspective.  She turned 21 in December.  Tomorrow will be her first "legal" trip to a winery.  I don't know who is more excited. 

Technically, these weekends started with just my mom and my aunt.  They evolved to include me and my sister.  And then my daughter.  And then my cousin's wife.

My aunt passed a year and a half ago and we miss her terribly.  But whenever we get too sad, she sends us a sign to sass us.  Tonight she sent the most vivid rainbow we have ever seen.  Most women have these weekends with their best gal pals.  In my case, that just happens to involve my family.
 
I firmly believe that trips like this are a necessary part of adult life.  They help us to remember and relive a more carefree time in our lives.  The days of our youth when we had slumber parties, talked about boys, ate junk food and had dance parties.  Adult girls' weekends help us stay connected with the carefree girls we used to be.  We relive our youth with a bit of an adult twist and zero judgement.

If you haven't planned a weekend like this in your adult life, I advise you to look into it as soon as you can.  At least one of these a year is great medicine.  Try not to plan too much beyond who you will be with, where you will stay and what you plan to do for meals.  Let everything else just happen. 

After all, that's the way we did it when we were 12.   




Comments

Popular Posts